Oct 14, 2009

Learning lessons

When the news broke yesterday afternoon about US national team star Charlie Davies' car accident, I was getting ready for practice with our School of Life kids in College Park. After hearing that his injuries, while severe, were not life threatening, I started wondering what happened.

We all know what typically goes on when you're out at 3 in the morning. It's a shame that Charlie put himself in that position. Even though the team is still celebrating qualifying for the World Cup, they have a game to play this week and Charlie is in the midst of a big season in the French first division.

One of the kids came up to me and asked if I had heard about Davies when I got to practice. The kids I coach are almost all Mexican, they have tons of respect for Davies after his goal in the Azteca in August.

After our warm-up, I called the guys together and we were talking about our last game and some of the mistakes that were made. Some of the guys were talking through my speech and not paying attention. After calling them out and walking away for a second, I came back to get serious.

I told them about what happened with Davies, not everyone had heard about it. We talked about the decision to be out at that time of the night and what it now might cost him. Most importantly, we talked about how you never know how much time you have and to get the most out of your time both on and off the field.

There's endless stories about players who haven't lived up to their potential. There's even more stories about people who have made mistakes that have changed their lives. I don't want those things for the kids I coach.

Condolences to the person who passed away in the accident and best wishes to all who were affected. Hopefully, this can be a learning lesson, and maybe even a wake-up call, for those who might need it.

-Jason

No comments: